The Machel-Mandela Internship programme aims to be the most prestigious of its kind in Africa. It will help sharpen the Brenthurst Foundation’s focus on Africa’s burgeoning youth population and help nurture Africa’s future leaders.
The internship will be available full-time for a minimum of six months and a maximum of two successful candidates will be selected per year. The intern may be from Africa or abroad and will be based at the Brenthurst Foundation’s headquarters in Parktown, Johannesburg. Interns will work directly with and assist the Foundation’s staff on a range of projects and activities, some of which will require foreign travel.
A stipend per month will be provided. Other expenses (travel, accommodation) may also be provided depending on the circumstances of the successful candidate and subject to agreement by the Brenthurst Foundation.
* Under 30 years of age
* An Undergraduate or Masters level degree
* Excellent spoken and written English. African and other languages an asset
* Excellent communication skills
* Enthusiastic and reliable, a self-starter who requires minimal oversight and management
* Able to balance deadlines and attention to detail
* Fluency in all basic IT skills
* Copy-editing and proof-reading skills an asset
* A passion for Africa and a keen interest in new thinking and strategies to strengthen Africa’s economic performance
* Broad knowledge of African politics and economics
* Familiarity with the work of the Brenthurst Foundation (please consult the website).
Please address your application to Ms Leila Jack and e-mail it to Leila.email@example.com quoting ‘Machel-Mandela Intern’ in the subject line.
You will need to send:
* An up-to-date CV with references’ details
* A covering letter – no more than 500 words, outlining your interest in the position and the skills you can bring to bear
* A writing sample – this can be any piece of work, for example an essay or a published article, of any length.
The deadline for applications is 23 March 2011.